PERTH TOWN HALL
Featuring the Italianate style, which was characteristic of British public administration buildings of the era, Perthís Town Hall was constructed of cream coloured freestone and Potsdam sandstone which was locally quarried. A full 2-storey structure, the Town Hall architecture features semi-circular headed windows, wide bracketed eaves with decorated cornice brackets and frieze, a broad front, central roof ascents and classical details. The imposing cupola-shaped, copper-sheathed clock tower was placed atop Town Hall in 1870, at the persistence of Mr. James Morton Millar, brother-in-law of the Honourable James Haggart. He bore the majority of the cost. At a later date, Mr. Millar also became Mayor of Perth.
In 2001, the Town Hall underwent construction to remove first floor offices in the main building to create the POA Courtroom. In 2003, continued construction resulted in the original fire hall being used for office space, and the second floor for Council Chambers and meeting rooms. On January 8, 1985, the Town Hall was municipally designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. In 2001, Town Hall received National Historic Site status, a plaque ceremony taking place on February 22 during Heritage Week 2003.
Continuing to serve the publicís best interests, Perthís Town Hall provides a number of facilities within the building for public functions on a rental basis. For further information and bookings, contact the Town of Perth Community Services Department at (613) 267-3311.
Click here for a Town Hall Fact Sheet.